Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Baby With Instructions

That's how my baby N came to me. Those instructions were to be followed, or else...

-feeding procedures and times, including a recipe for his formula/rice cereal/babyfood mixture and amount to be fed.

-Nothing in his mouth(although his plastic surgeon revised that rule and we can give him a little pedialite by bottle.

-Wash hands before feeding, after diapering, before putting medicine on his cleft and peg(duh!)

-Steps for vomiting, that included the phrase "may cause death" in it.

-Sleep inclined.

-Keep him sitting up an hour after feedings.

-Complete bath(yes, his prior nurse felt the need to tell me to bathe him daily!)

There is really too many to remember, and I don't yet know the reason for all of them, but I follow them, because I want to keep him, and keep him safe.

Nurse J comes in(not our regular nurse) and is concerned that his formula mixture is too thick and he's putting on weight too fast and afraid of him becoming diabetic or something. Like I really need more to worry about! She suggested thinning the mixture. She really said this out of concern, but thankfully, by mistake his regular nurse, nurse C came this morning too and the had a discussion on whether or not to use less cereal in the mixture.

Anyway, nurse C called me at work (because she let nurse J stay to get the hours), and said please do not change his formula. My son had reflux,so I know a lot about this. The formula mixture is thick because it keeps him from throwing up. A thinner mixture is easier to throw up.

I'm with nurse C at this point. She said nurse J is right about using less cereal, but that applies to healthy babies. Baby N has special needs. His doctor will let you know if he's gaining too much weight.

It's tough we you have conflicting opinions on how to feed your baby. It's scary. I feel like a bad mother. I want to go with my "motherly instinct", but will have to answer to so many people if that instinct is wrong and I act on it.

I can't wait until he is mine, and I don't have to worry about pleasing everyone.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said…

    It is very hard taking care of a special needs child. I have really had to learn how to listen to what others say and then filter everything and make my own decision. I am sure that you will do great!

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger soralis said…

    Good luck with figuring out what is best for baby N.

    Take care

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    It sounds like you are doing wonderful!! I however would totalyl agree with nurse C. Besides being a pediatric nurse, myown daughter had reflux and we HAD to thicken feeds to keep it from refluxing...a thinner formula would make it VERY easy for the baby to aspirate the formula with could cause serious lung issues (pneumonia, death) Is he on any meds for his reflux?? We used prevacid for sarah and really great results with it---even though it tasted horrible!!! Good luck....
    Michelle
    My CHosen CHild

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    he is on pepcid now and the bad taste won't matter to him just yet!

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    How is he doing with his oral feeds?? what kind of bottle/nipple are you using? Take Care
    M
    My Chosen Child

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    I understand your concern about "instructions" but I am also cracking up at myself as I have given the gm "instrustions" about how SB has been living so far with me. She has to be on this amount of formula, this concentration, this many times a day. She has to have her breathing treatments twice a day and occ and speech therapy. I asked that this be mandated! Basically it is because I don't know her and if she will continue to keep these things up if she is not told to do so. It may be that was the case with you as well. The foster mom didn't really know you at first and gave strict instructions for that reason. I know that gm's instincts will come into play eventually but the instructions are for the beginning when she is getting use to SB. SB will dictate the rest.

    Just a thought as I am laughing at myself and my "instructions" I gave... :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home