Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Bug Bites and Driver's Education. . .

Ok, let's start with baby N first. I ask this advice mostly of foster parents, but anyone who has any advice, please post it.

Baby N is covered in bug bites, most likely mosquito bites. Every time I take him out(to the store, doctor, etc.), he comes home with at least 6 new mosquito bites. I think he's allergic because they don't just form a bump and disppear, they get big and ugly!

I know damn well there are no bugs or fleas in our house, except the flew mosquitos who sneak in at night if we have to open the door. I have been putting antibiotic cream on them.

I just know if they don't go away by next visit bio mom will raise a stink! It doesn't matter than her home has a snake, bird, several cats and poop all over the floor from her zoo in her house, she will bitch, hoping she will get him back by trying to accuse us of having bugs in our house. Baby N is the ONLY one getting bit, so it HAS to be from going outside. I have slept in his room several nights and have not got bitten.

L is calling the worker so she will be prepared for biomom to raise hell. Should I start having an exterminator come regularly to spray and inspect vouching our house is bug free? Am I worrying too much?

Next issue...Driver's Education, so shift your minds from babies to teenagers.

SY would like to take driver's Ed. I would love to let her do something like this her idiot father would probably not allow. Of course, it will be out of our pockets, because I'm not asking her father for more money, because then he will say something to piss L off and she will be on a plane home.

The problem is, she has NEVER been behind the wheel of a car. The most she has done is turn on the ignition to play with the radio at home. She's old enough to take it, and the agency allows it, as long as she only drive's the school's car.

Should I let her take driver's ed, or do you think she could kill someone if she got on the highway? Should I call the instructor and get his opinion? She will not be here long enough to be allowed to take her permit home, so the course will be strictly for her enjoyment.

Any lawyers out there? Can they sue me if she wrecks and causes damages? I do not have legal guardianship of her, her agency does. Would I be free of potential liablity since the school will have insurance?

I would really like her to be able to learn to drive and enjoy her time here since it seems like she will be staying.

Any suggestions?

9 Comments:

  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    I am confused- I thought Baby N had Chicken pox? Or am I confusing him with someone else? It is tough to keep them covered head to toe in this heat and you can't put anything on them to repel the bugs- the best you can do is keep an eye on the bites so they don't get infected and make sure the cw knows what is up. I don't exterminate my house anymore. SB has gotten a few bites but it is that time of year. It is hard to avoid! I wouldn't freak out about it. Just make sure you document it with the cw and maybe take pictures of him so bm can't make it sound worse than it is.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger No Longer In Crisis said…

    Any way you can make a quick aptmt. with the pediatrician to document he may be allergic? We take Cookie more often than we would if she were legally ours forever - sometimes we want the documentation that says "these folks are not to blame"...other than that - Calamine lotion maybe? Do they make baby bug repellant you can put on him?? I second Julie on the photo idea - geez, incredible how careful we have to be when the Bios can literally get away with anything. Ugh.

    I remember the Florida and Georgia bugs in summer (oooohhh, I shudder...)

    As for the driving - I think I'd say go for it, but then again, I'm kind of a risk taker, so my advice may be dumb-a**!!

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Just to cover your butt I would suggest taking baby N to the doctor to have it documented....maybe he can even offer you an opinion/remedy/solution to the bites!!! Do you guys have noseeums up there?!?!?!?

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger sourpatchbaby said…

    I had the same problem with The Kid. He had spontaneous bug bites all over him that looked bad. We could never pinpoint the cause, but I think that it was noseeums. All we could do was slather calamine lotion in him and ride it out. After about three weeks, the bug biting stopped, suddenly, just like they started. As to SY, if you let her drive, she's going to want to drive your car. That means MUCH higher insurance premiums since you have to disclose that you have a teenager living in your house. I guess the question is, can you afford to have her drive?

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    SY is NOT allowed to drive our car per our agency manual and I doubt our insurance would allow it even if we were crazy enough to add her to our policy.

    The ONLY driving she will be doing is in the school owned driver's ed car.

    L MAY take her in an abandoned parking lot to teach her how to operate a vehicle so she doesn't kill someone on the highway during driver's ed.

    Julie,

    Baby N has gotten over the chicken pox a couple weeks ago.

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    What are noseeums?

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Our baby N got eaten alive by mosquitoes in early June. I went to the pharmacy and he gave us some off brand of I think children's benadryl and figured out how much to give him for his weight. The horrible bites went away in two days when usually it takes him at least two weeks to get over bites. We were on vacation and I didn't keep the bottle or I would tell you exactly what it was. Hope this helps. I will pray bio mom doesn't have a fit but I would not take pictures as am sure he looks awful. L

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger No Longer In Crisis said…

    Ah yes, the baby Benadryl - the pharmacist and pediatrican recommended it - you can get it most anywhere and it is great (but it knocks them out - which could actually be good :)). Noseeums are little biting sand gnats - we had them in FL awful bad.

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger FosterMommy said…

    Niblet got a ton of mosquito bites on our LAST DAY of vacation a while back. She had about 20 and they itched horribly and looked bad, too. We just told the CW and dad that it was bug bites.

    In your situation, I'd say call the cw to warn them, take N to the doctor to have it documented (and maybe get some benadryl for the itch, poor thing!) and just leave it at that.

    I'm pretty sure that babies tend to get bites when grownups don't because we know to wave away the bugs when they buzz around us, even if we're not conscious of it. Babies don't know how to do that, and they're tasty!, so they get more bites.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home