Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Back to Texas

Why do I even F*ck around with doctors and hospitals in Louisiana, when I know, deep down, eventually I will need to make the drive to Houston for any medical problems beyond a stuffy nose?

I called the cleft team in New Orleans. It had been a month since baby N's consult and I heard nothing. Here's what surgery lady had to say:

Me: I took baby N for a consult with the cleft team about a month ago. What do I have to do about getting surgery scheduled?

Lady: Hold please...(a few minutes later). I checked his file and Dr. Cleft hasn't even written a surgery plan for baby N.

Me: Ok, it's just been a while and I haven't heard anything.

Lady: Oh, well Dr. Cleft went on vacation, then I went on vacation.

Me: So when can we get him scheduled for surgery?

Lady: Well, he's already booked until the end of October, and I can't schedule you until I get the report from Dr. Cleft.

Me: Well, he really needs to have this done. It's been put off long enough.

Lady: I'll call you probably at the end of the week and tell you the next step. Don't worry, we're gonna fix him.

Me: (irritated)....OK.

I call L and tell him about the bullshit and he calls be back 5 minutes later:

L: I got him an appointment at Texas Childrens on Aug 21. They said when we leave the consult, we will have a surgery date. They are only booked up about 3 weeks!

Me: What about medicaid?

L: The lady said the office will take care of that.

Me: Ok, then you need to call OCS now, and get whatever permission you need to take him out of state, and make sure you have all the proper surgery authorizations.

L: I will.

Well, L called OCS and baby N has not yet been assigned a new worker and the supervisor is in training all week.

I'm not cancelling with Dr. Cleft. We're gonna see both of them and see who can get him in the fastest! Besides, I'm still kinda pissed at Dr. Cleft's remarks about checking him for genetic defects and saying he won't do surgery if he has any serious genetic conditions that will kill him in a few years!

I wonder if he was adopted, and already on my private insurance if we could get in quicker?

8 Comments:

  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger GLouise said…

    This infuriates me, too.

    Why are foster children's health needs not being taken seriously? Why is there so much red tape to get this to HAPPEN?!

    I have been thinking about this a lot as a result of your posts.

    If I were you, and had the time, I would start a mini-letter writing campaign to my local officials.

    Good grief- you would think that this was a second world nation that a child who desperately needs a cleft palate surgery would get one in a timely manner!

    Ask your rep. if it is time for "Operation Smile" (the group that travels worldwide to do cleft surgeries) to make a visit to the foster children of LA? Because these darling children are being left behind and not getting the medical care they NEED.

    I would also consider a letter to the editor of your big state newspaper.

    It is truly disgraceful. Is this really the USA?

    You have all my best wishes and support. let me know if I can help you with any letters or anything else you can think of!!!!

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    That is CRAZY! You should just come to texas- thinking of moving here? I can't believe they don't even let you know- wait- yes I can- no one ever communicates regarding foster kids. I am sorry you have to deal with this bs. That is just sad for sweet Baby N. :(

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    OPERATION SMILE is a great idea!!! Jessica Simpson is up on all that! Write her and the organization!!

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Julie,

    I can't move to Texas until we finish adopting, especially the way the foster sytem is treating you, and Jeremy and Nicole!

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    I could maybe understand if it was just a cleft lip, but my baby can't even eat!!

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger soralis said…

    I am so sorry about Dr. Cleft.. what a pain. I sure hope he can get in quickly with another dr.

    Just catching up... love the exer-pooper post! LOL!

    I think the photo album is a great idea too!

    Take care

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger x said…

    Keeping both appointments sounds like a smart idea. How frustrating, I hope you don't have any problems with the insurance.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Definitely keep both appointments. Who knows what kind of excuse one or the other doctor's office will give to postpone the appointment, though right now I have a lot more faith in TX Children's. So frustrating!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home