Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Quick Update

It's the weekend and baby N is not yet here, so just gonna do a quick update until Monday, unless something really p*sses me off or something really cool happens:

I removed the picture from my profile. I blog at work (before work and lunch hour), and I feel the need to gripe about work too here. The picture would have made it too easy to find me. I will post pics from time to time because it's unlikely anyone from work will go through my archives.


I had a couple co-workers "gang up" on me yesterday. My boss said that one girl had dr appointment Monday, she had a dentist appointment Tuesday and was taking off Thursday and Friday! She asks if I could schedule my visit on Wednesday. I informed her that I didn't really have a choice and am gonna have to take what I can get because baby N is having a TPR hearing in the next week or two and the judge will be very upset if he has not met his adoptive parents yet.

The other co-worker says in a smart ass way, "I am NOT cancelling my appointment!" Couldn't she have just said "I am not able to reschedule the appointment." Her remark made it sound like she could change it but wasn't.

I was close to just leaving because I've had about enough of covering for everyone else and getting shafted when I need time off. My boss later apologized saying thought I would need to take off all day, but realized I only needed to leave a couple hours early.

I know it's "worked out", but I'm so sick of no one considering my feelings when I need to take off. I mean, I had to fill in answering the phones for someone who went to a teacher conference for a 4 year old that lasted over 3 hours, but when the adoption of my future child is at stake, I basically get the middle finger thrown at me.

If I were pregnant, I'd get the needed time off for appointments, but since I'm adopting I'm a second class citizen?

Oh, and the smoking in the office is KILLING me!! I get to work and immediately start sniffling, sneezing and coughing. I guess breathing is optional there and it would just be too much trouble to smoke outside right?

I wonder if I should dare ask for maternity leave? Baby N should be placed in our home full time about the time of the year I am busiest. Again, if I were PREGNANT, I'd get leave, no questions asked. Why do I get the feeling that if I request leave for adoption, I'll get the cold shoulder?

We went to wally world and found an adorable outfit for baby N on clearance. I just had to pick it up and it was only $3.



Wow, the quick update got kinda long. Have a great weekend!

8 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger soralis said…

    I am really sorry to hear about work. It really ticks me off that they don't treat adoptive parents the same as a regular PG. They should get the same time off and benefits.

    I love the outfit, I can't wait to hear all about your visit. I am sure it will be wonderful.

    Take care

     
  • At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't have the time now to go into a lot of detail, but you MAY be covered by the federal Family and Medical Leave Act. Placement of a child for adoption is included in the provisions of the act. Look it up, check it out.

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Alright... somehow I missed getting you put back in my blog favorites file in the whole computer switch a little while back. And I've missed so much! So sorry.

    I was going to mention the FMLA, but see Jane already has. Definitely look into it though.

    Sorry work is being such a pain. Hoping it gets better. And really hoping all worked out with Baby N and you're enjoying a fabulous weekend with him.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger x said…

    I love that outfit. OMG you are going to spoil baby N, just what he needs right now! Are you sure you don't want to adopt me?

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    FMLA covers foster placement. I looked it up a few weeks ago. The problem is they are probably still gonna give me crap about it. May 1 will be a year I worked there, and they have enough employees, so I'm "legally" protected but I may have to wait to after the busy time to take my leave where if I had a baby, I'd get to take it after the birth, no questions asked.

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's terrible that they are treating your adoption like that... I went through almost 3 years of infertility before having my kids, and before getting pg we were also going to adopt through the state. (I managed to be one of the 2% who got pregnant during the adoption process)... Anyway, everyone where I worked was wonderful about the whole thing, and they were happy for me... I wish your work was the same way. *sighs*

    Julie

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    PS-- I tagged you. See my blog for details. And if you're not busy loving on Baby N, come play along.

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    It's a shame at what should be such a happy, happy time that you are having to worry about work politics. I have a high-ranking position at my job and completely werestled with the time off thing. I ultimately took a year long leave and I have not one single regret. I really hope you get to take time off--it would be great for you AND Baby N. Good luck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home