Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

I Held Her First!

That's what L says as he walks out of the PICU yesterday when we went to see Princess. All the kicking and screaming and begging to get L to ride with me to Katrina town so I could see our little girl and not only does he decide to go peek in on her, but holds her! She even smiled at him. You know, that kind of smile that says, "Daddy, I got you wrapped." L comes out saying, "I'm the first person who got to hold her. Noone else has held her before."

Why didn't we go in together? We have to take turns because we have to bring Smiley along and he is not allowed in the PICU, so we have to take turns.

So, finally it's my turn.

Nurse: Would you like to hold her?

Me: Yes! (of course I do, I've only been waiting a month to hold her!)

She's so tiny(although she was born normal size/weight). She looks like she's maybe two weeks old rather than 2 months. She is staring at me with those pretty little eyes. Oh, and the eyelashes, she has my long eyelashes! I held her for about 30 minutes in awe, forgetting the fact that L was in the hall alone with very cranky, teething Smiley. My arm hurts today and I smile as I remember why. She is so precious. I pray we get to keep her. They have a few relatives interested, but we are the only ones who have been by her bedside with her, visiting her, calling about her and loving he. I pray that they hear she's with a good family who can meet her medical needs and let her go, like Smiley's family. I didn't get a picture yesterday because I just couldn't put her down to take a picture.

Ok, back to Princess's progress. She is ready to be moved to a room, but they are all full, so she will stay in PICU. The nurse tried bottle feeding but she choked on it. Several possible reasons why: 1. She's never eaten by mouth and not used to it. 2. She's on continuous feeding pump, so she's not hungry enough. I suggested stopping the pump a couple hours and try the bottle when she is actually hungry. They may try that, but occupation therapy will start working with her on Monday and will probably have more success. Pray she will not need a g-tube. I don' t want her to go through any more surgeries. I'm sure she will do fine because this was only the first attempt at feeding her. She is breathing well, and that has been a big accomplishment. I'm thinking she will be released sometime next week.

Could you think of a more perfect Christmas gift?

8 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Megamom said…

    Im so glad she is doing well again! How exciting to get to hold her, lol at L though! Proud papa I guess! Keep us posted on her progress.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said…

    I had to endure this with my son Evan. He ended up with a g-tube but after getting his tummy to stretch he was able to eventually come off the tube. I think that having them give her more food in a shorter time (it is called a bolus feed) will help transition her quicker to normal eating. I really hope that you do not have to go through the awful feeding issues that I had to endure. It was not fun and it made me feel like a bad mother.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Smiley is bolus fed, although he is eating more and more by mouth everyday.

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger TeamWinks said…

    Yeah! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see more pictures of Princess. I'm so excited for you and your family!

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger No Longer In Crisis said…

    I can think of nothing finer! What a marvelous gift. I know God is smiling because you and L. have so opened your hearts completely (like saying you would take the girls). I think it could be a test to see if you are truly sold-out-and surrendered (and clearly you are!) Your faithfulness is paying off - 10 fold. I am so happy Princess is getting the contact-comfort she so needs.

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Brings tears to my eyes!! I am so happy for ya'll! Silly L- I guess he is feeling better? I am so happy ya'll got to hold her- what a blessing!!! for you all! I am praying that today she figures out how to eat from the bottle!

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger x said…

    More perfect than a little girl angel? No, that is as perfect as it gets.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    L still has not recovered, but he's not contagious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home