Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Technical Difficulties

I know ya'll didn't think I had nothing to write about for 4 whole days did you? Of course not, I'm a foster parent! Our internet, cable, and phone have all been out and we didn't bother calling to report it, because we're about to switch companies.

Anyway, where do I start? I guess I'll start with Smiley because his update will be quicker.

Smiley's name should be changed to Grouchy, because he's been horribly fussy and cranky the entire holiday weekend. I think he has at least 4 or 5 teeth trying to come out. I see two bumps on the bottom front gums and he's chewing his finger in the back on both sides. Oh yeah, one milestone for Smiley. He pulled himself up into a sitting position for the first time. He's not sitting up straight yet, but I'm sure he will soon.

Princess came off the ventilator Friday, seemed to be doing well Saturday, but when I went to see her Sunday, she was back on the ventilator. I'm no doctor, but I don' t understand why they are not letting her heal. She was having difficulty breathing, but instead of turning the oxygen level up in the hood, they put the ventilator back on full blast, making it do ALL the breathing for her because they had given her some drugs to paralyze her so she "wouldn't squirm." This is the 3rd time they put her back on the ventilator. I saw her Friday and her breathing seemed fine.

I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't understand how she's gonna do anything on her own if they keep pumping her with sedation drugs! Why not put the ventilator on lower and let her try and take some of the breaths on her own? Do they not want to deal with her? We have been visiting two weeks and still have not gotten to hold her. I know she has lines attached, but we were allowed to hold baby D with lines attached at another hospital. Do you think the nurses don't want to bother moving her? I know the bonding will help her heal and I don't see how she will get better with so little contact. I guess I'm being a paranoid, impatient mom, but if she was my biological child and I had rights to her, I guess I could demand more answers.

Oh yeah, the hospital told me Princess didn't have a name. Her name is listed as baby, so maybe I will get to name her.

Well, off to work now. Remind me to tell you the adoption story I heard from Princess's Cardiologist. It's really good.

11 Comments:

  • At 6:04 AM, Blogger TeamWinks said…

    I would still advocate for better care for Princess. I know you don't want to press your luck, but at least they culd take thirty seconds to explain their actions.

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Can you call the doctor? At least report your findings to the caseworker and request they call and get a report on her. I know they have to be very careful with her heart and distress so I would think that her struggling to breath would stress her out and not be good for her heart- but I am just guessing. I would not be surprised if you get to name her- there are foster parents who get that opportunity in cases like this- I pray that she gets better soon!!! :)

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Mud Pie said…

    Sorry you haven't gotten to hold her yet. I can only imagine how tough it is to be patient right now!

    But I'm SO excited for you. This is looking like a great opportunity for your family! And little Princess is so lucky to have you visiting her and loving her already. I'm praying that she will be yours forever.

    Mud Pie

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger GLouise said…

    Poor little Princess!

    And yes- I want to hear the adoption story you mentioned!

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger sourpatchbaby said…

    Can you request that the caseworker give you written permission to have access to Princess' file and pertinent information? Since you are her mother (and will be that in paper very soon, I hope), you should be able to have a say in what goes on with your daughter. Can Princess have your picture in her incubator to look at? Something fuzzy to remind her of her mommy and daddy when they're not around? And why the heck are they keeping you from holding your daughter???

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Oh yeah! something fuzzy that smells like you would be great!!! Smell is so important to little ones!

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    I know its hard to wait to hold them!! But it sounds like she was not doing well enoughbreathing on her own and that is why they put her back on the vent. They dont like to wait until the babies breathing gets too bad to put them back on...They also give the sedating drugs so she will not fight the ventilator and cause it to dislodge which can cause more problems...it sounds like right now they want to support her so her body can ffocus on trying to heal her heart instead of working so hard to breathe....

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Thanks Michelle,

    I knew you'd have a reasonable explanation. It's just hard when they don't take time to fully explain why they do what they do. I know they are a good hospital, but didn't realize how much they have to start over with every little setback. I guess I'm just being impatient.

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger No Longer In Crisis said…

    Oh your heart must just ache to hold her - I feel it in your words. I feel it too! I cannot imagine. I PRAY you hold her soon.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Prayers Princess is off the ventilator soon, and home in your arms.

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I really hope you get to hold her soon!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home