Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Hospitals, Hospitals, Hospitals...

L had sinus surgery on Wednesday and I'm sure you all know how much fun a sick man is. On top of that, the surgery was supposed to be at 8:30am and they didn't take him in til 1pm!! They did call us the night before and tell us to arrive at 9 because the surgery was moved til 11! At 11:15, they wheeled him back to surgery and sent me to the waiting room. A little after 1pm, they called me and told me they just took him back!! wtf were they doing the past 2 hours! Anyway, I finally got to go back with him at 3 and he was discharged around 4:30! I was alone 4 hours in a surgery waiting room(kids were with mil).

He was not doing too well, so I agreed to take off yesterday, trying to keep family medical leave act as a defense. Anyway, MIL's school decided to close yesterday and today, so she was able to come by late morning and I was able to catch an afternoon of work.

And you'd think it would get better...right? Not hardly.

After feeding baby N around 8pm, formula and food starting GUSHING out of his stomach. I soon found out to my horror that the plastic piece that fits into the hole in his peg broke off! Great! Go directly to the ER for surgery, but not the ER in this shit town, they wouldn't know what a feeding tube is! After driving over an hour, they rigged it to close in the ER and sent us home, destroying my replacement feeding tube set in the process. The piece they rigged fell out before we got home and got lost somewhere. My poor baby N was screaming all night of hunger and leaking stomach fluids all over himself! He was supposed to have a minor foot surgery, so we could not feed him after midnight.

By about 2 am, I finally figured if I dismantled a feeding tube, I could use the plug in part to close the hole and tape it down with medical tape. This allowed us about an hour and a half to sleep, then had to wake up and get the kids dressed for surgery to be there at 6am! L and MIL were taking him to surgery and I went to work, since I will have to miss time next week.

Anyway, I just found out his foot surgery got cancelled, because the feeding tube broke and they cannot give him the medicines they need. L went back to the other hospital and they are now waiting on a surgeon who can change out his feeding tube. He is booked up and they could be there a while. I told them to mention that your baby has not eaten since 4pm yesterday, since his 8pm feeding leaked out of his stomach!

I am so worried and it sucks that I have to be here, but I may need to take off next Friday for the re-scheduled foot surgery.

Oh, today is baby N's first birthday. What wonderful parents we are making him spend it in the hospital!

10 Comments:

  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    I am so sorry- that sounds just awful! I hope baby N gets that tube fixed and eats soon! that is just no fun- I am sorry your job gets in the way of life! I hate that!

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger x said…

    That does sound like a nightmare. I'm so sorry Baby N isn't having a good birthday. The only good thing is that he isn't old enough to remember it.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Happy Birthday BabyN! Even if it is a lousy way to spend it. Hope they get the tube taken care of soon!

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry that baby N is going through that. Thankfully, he won't remember any of this later on. Don't beat yourself up about this. You are and will be the light of his life.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger BigP's Heather said…

    Don't be so hard on yourself...you are awesome.

    I'm sorry you think he isn't having a good birthday. But that baby is loved - really loved. Some people never get that kind of love their whole life.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    My goodness, I'm so sorry it's been such a rough time!! I hope they get his feeding tube taken care. Poor little guy!

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What kind of foot surgery?

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sucks! It is not your fault though that this happened. Feeding tubes often have all sorts of issues.

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger TeamWinks said…

    Poor poor baby N! You must be exhausted. Hang in there, and keep us updated.

     
  • At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are a very strong woman and a wonderful mother. I am so sorry Baby N is having so much to deal with on his birthday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home