Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Delayed

Is what baby N's nuerologist told us. He also said his head was smaller than average and being permature, the midline of the brain or something may not have finished developing. Nurse C says the brain should finish developing as he grows.

We knew had had physical delays, but I think mentally he's fine. He is smart enough to make himself choke so I will pick him up!

Anyway, we knew he would be delayed, but hearing it out loud is still scary. He is 9 months old, but at the level of a 4 month old developmentally. Nurse C thinks it's because his first foster home just held him and let him sleep all the time. Anyway, L is getting Early Steps to come in and start working on his motor skills. I do what I can, try to put him in crawling position, stand him up(he loves trying to stand up), trying to get him to sit, but there's only so much I know to help him.
All this should have been done in the prior foster home, but I guess when the state dumps several needy children in your home out of desperation, you can only do so much. I was told I was lucky that he was taken good care of(meaning, not starving)!

His nuerologist scheduled an MRI. EEG results came back normal and there were no seizures.

On the way out of the hospital, L ran into baby N's ENT doctor:

ENT: They haven't fixed that baby's mouth yet!

L: No, I keep calling them...

ENT: I'm going right up there now and talk to them.

Maybe there's hope. He's on the cleft team so maybe he can squeeze baby N in soon.

Biomom update: She still has not grasped the process of feeding baby N and tried to pass off the duty to her boyfriend. Nurse C said, "No, YOU need to learn." She can't go to court and say we didn't teach her.

L is hanging in there. Baby N is seeing the doctor this afternoon for sinus infection, and I was coughing so hard this morning, I threw up a little. I sucked up and stayed at work. I want to save my off time for baby N's surgeries. Please send healing prayers this way.

I was actually feeling so bad and exhausted last night that when baby N was screaming a tantrum, I laid him in the bed next to me, closed my eyes taking a couple deep breaths then resumed to comfort him. I heard of walking away and counting to 10 to cool off, but didn't think it actually worked. By the time I was at 5 I felt human again.

Baby N did evenually smile later. Bathtime is great and no matter how bad a mood he's in, he will usually kick and laugh in the tub.

Then I dress him and he puts his arms around my neck and head on my shoulder chewing on my neck(from teething pain).

He's so worth it! I wouldn't trade him for anything!

6 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    That is soooo precious! I am glad that L ran in to the ENT! That is great! I hope he gets some results! Healing prayers for your whole house coming your way! I like Nurse C- she seems to be very positive about everything and realistic. Babies are very resiliant. I hope you get some assistance on the developmental stuff- it helps to have them teach you what to work on and how to do it. Sounds like he can catch up! Hang in there and get some rest when you can!

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger MamaKBear said…

    I hope everything gets worked out soon as far as getting that cleft fixed up!
    Baby N is so lucky to have you!

    My 3 1/2 year old is developmentally delayed by about 6 months. I have to keep reminding myself that she's mentally barely 3 when she starts driving me completely nuts! She'll be starting Early Head Start this year, and hopefully getting some speech therapy too.

    Finally got a chance to update my blogroll and I added you. I had you in my favorites and I've been trying to stop by...now I'll know when you've updated. :)

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sounds like you're doing a great job. Early intervention services will help Baby N, as will the level of stimulation you are providing him. I'll say a prayer that you stay well and that the surgery is scheduled soon and everything stays OK!

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Maya said…

    Sending you prayers of strength and peace. Sorry things are tough right now.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger GLouise said…

    I am glad L ran into the ENT! It is really deplorable that they haven't had that surgery done for him yet. I hope the ENT's influence might help.

    Hope you're hanging in there! What a long week you've had.

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger chris said…

    I really think in the long run your baby will be just fine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home