Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Do You Think This Will Work?

I've been brainstorming Princess' medical records situation and I have a crazy idea. It's a longshot and I could get in trouble(so give me opinions please).

What if I called bio mom in prison and asked if she could sign a release for me to have access to Princess's medical records so I can get her the medical care she needs? If she really cares about her daughter, and is willing to help me so I can care for her, I wonder if I could get her records that way.

I see it as a win-win situation. She can tell the court how cooperative she was in helping her daughter get medical care while I can have copies of her records to give to various doctors she has to see with less red tape?

I'm not gonna do this, but I'm actually considering dropping the idea by our home development worker if she doesn't have any better advice. She will be honest with me. I guess I'll call her Monday and see what happens.

Oh yeah, I just looked at the card from Dr. A's partner, with his name on the back. I think he goes to Baton Rouge! Robin, I may take you up on that offer to help! Gonna call back Monday and see!

10 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger FosterAbba said…

    From the beginning, I have wanted to have as little contact with biological family as possible. Since the county blew our confidentiality at one point by publishing our address on a court notice that was sent to a biological mother who was a dangerous felon with gang affiliations, I haven't exactly felt warm and fuzzy about having contact with biological families.

    If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't contact the mother at all. I'd ask the social worker to intervene, or I'd just let the process unfold on its own. In our state, foster parents can make routine medical and health care decisions, but decisions which involve surgery have to be decided by the workers and approved by the court.

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Runergirl said…

    It would be my pleasure and I come with a long list of references!LOL
    Seriously, I'm at home eveyday so whenever is fine!

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger process said…

    In my state, if the child is in the custody of the state, then the mother doesn't have the right to sign a release, only the state does.

     
  • At 5:46 AM, Blogger GLouise said…

    Good for you for thinking outside of the box, but it is probably best to check in with the social worker first. I guess the other question is "can the bio mom actually make medical decisions for Princess?" Wishing you all the best!!

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    It's not gonna work. I'm just desperate. They won't give me copies of records either,so I guess I'll continue following hospital discharge instructions til I see a competent cardiologist.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    I agree with process- here bio doesn't have rights either- it is up to the state. Keep pressing on the cw to get the records released to the right doctors. You can't really get them. sad but true. It is hard to balance the advocating for your foster child and letting the state do their thing. Our heart strings are so tied to them but we can't help them like we would our own. It is a catch 22. Hang in there! God is watching over her!

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger MommyNay said…

    and youve gone straight to medical records and requested them like its something you do everyday? They have never questioned me and Ive done this at 3 different hospitals...im so sorry noone is helping you help princess

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    The hospital was specifically told we get no written info.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger MommyNay said…

    So much about this system is so unfair- its your JOB to advocate and care for this child. How can you best do that if there is so much you DONT know? Im sorry your dealing with this. I hope you find a sympathetic Dr soon who is willing to give you copies. GL!

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Runergirl said…

    Any solution or progress yet?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home