Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

You Could Always Adopt. . .

Adopted 3 boys out of foster care, then got pregnant for my beautiful daughter, now currently pregnant again with twins.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Potty Training

Help!!! How do I get this puppy to quit pooping everywhere? I've tried taking her outside a lot, but still has accidents. I did the rub in nose, couple swats and bring her to the puppy pad, didn't work. I know it's going to take time but any idea how long? Anyone have any good experience training small puppies. I've never had an indoor dog before. Well, she's only about 8 weeks old. I can keep my cool, but L can be a neat freak and I don't want him getting mad at her. Oh well, better clean up the messes before he sees them.

We found a home for Rose. She is now a cat companion for a pug with someone L knows. It's working out great. They love playing together and buddy is a MUCH happier cat now that he's the only cat. He's lovable again and started playing fetch with me again. Abbey even tried to copy him and pick up his ball in her mouth. It was cute. Other good news, Buddy did not hiss at Abbey one time. A miracle right? How odd, my stupid cat loves dogs, lol.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The woman who taught our dog obedience classes advocates crate training. I've not done it with a puppy, but I did with the adult dog we adopted from the kennel. Basically, you keep the dogin a confined space because he/she does not want to hang out in his own mess, until he/she learns to "hold it" naturally. More details here.

    As for personal experience, I had major problems with my dog eliminating inside - nose rubbing, yelling, etc... did not stop it. The turnaround point was when I finally caught him in the act and really yelled at him (he hates me yelling). I then lifted him up for about 30 seconds; he hates that so it is a good punishment. Putting him in his crate or outside was not a good punishment because he likes it.

    Good luck.

    Also, I recommend Nature's Miracle to remove stains/odor. It is by far the BEST stuff on the market and we tried everything. Some of those deoderizers smell worse than the urine, I swear. Nature's Miracle has no perfumes or anything; it doesn't smell at all.

     
  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Thanks Susan. I put my cat in a kennel to litterbox train him, and it completely slipped my mind with the puppy. I have her confined to a bathroom, but maybe a smaller space will help her learn better.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I'm late to the game, but crate training, crate training, crate training.

    Rubbing their nose in it is just cruel IMO.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home